Re: indexing a column with only 2 or 3 values

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 06:44:43 -0700

ciapecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does indexing a very big table (about 5Mio records) on the columnA
> which can hold only values Y,N,<NULL> make sense?
>
> thanks
> chris

I would strongly urge you to ignore the advice you received from Thomas Kellerer. Well intentioned by quite likely inaccurate.

The answer is "depends" and the links posted by Charles Hooper will tell you what it depends upon.

In almost all cases a bitmap index does not belong in an OLTP system.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington