Re: deleted undotbs01.dbf...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 05:03:45 -0700

Stefan Wetter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> de12261 wrote:
>>
>> And generic advice to everyone and anyone: If you aren't doing
>> regular backups with RMAN seriously consider getting another form
>> of employment.

> Why do you say 'with RMAN'? Is doing backups with sqlplus & 'host
> copy'-Commands not as good as RMAN?

No they are not.

> If RMAN is the only way to do a secure full backup, can you point me to
> a good tutorial how to start with RMAN? Thanks!
>
> Stefan

$ rman target / catalog <user_id>/<password>@<repository_db>

RMAN> create catalog tablespace <tablespace_name>;
RMAN> register database;
RMAN> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
RMAN> backup database plus archivelog;

That's the basics but I would seriously encourage anyone with 10g to use Block Change Tracking too:
http://www.psoug.org/reference/block_change_tracking.html

Here's one of many you can find with google: http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cf/chrisfoot/10grmanpart1

Also of interest:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/10gr2_db_vmware/ha/ob/ob.htm