Re: Any body here knows the design model of The Oracle of Bacon at Virginia?

From: John Ruan <rds1226_at_sh163.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:32:48 -0400

Acturally what I am interested in is its algorithms.

If you input a name of an actor, it will give you the bacon number , or the degree of separation from Kevin Bacon.

What is the basic algorithms behind this?

How do you come out with this number?

Perhaps they have a series of tables, with each holding a bunch of actors who appreared in one movie.

Say, actors A,B,C appear in one movie table TB1 and A only apprears in this movie.

Actor C,D,E appear in another movie table TB2.

If we want to find the degree of separation from A to D, we may JOIN TB1 with TB2 and we connect A and D through C. In this case, the bacon number is 2 from A to C.

This is my simple guess, but I don't know what they do if they have thounds of tables to find the shortest path.