Re: Multimaster replication and database move!

From: <ddelmoli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:14:43 -0000

On Jul 27, 3:17 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Beginner wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > we have currently a multi-master replication environment where we have four
> > databases. Now we have to move one database to another node.
>
> > Any hints what we have to consider
>
> > Thank you in advance!
>
> > db
>
> First hints are:
>
> 1. Version of Oracle
> 2. Operating system
> 3. What is your definition of "node?"
>
> My recommendation unless you have a paleolithic version of Oracle is to
> bury multi-master replication in a shallow unmarked grave and go to
> streams.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

What's your current plan for moving one of the masters?

I'm assuming you'll be doing this during a period of slow activity and can have the other three just queue up their changes. As long as the new node looks like the old one and your tnsnames get adjusted accordingly, you should be fine.

Moving to streams is something you really ought to do -- 8i symmetric replication works, but it's got quirks and it isn't very fast -- by now it's 12-year old technology. You probably don't have to migrate everything at once -- depends on how complex your transactions are, but you might be able to do one to two tables at a time. Also depends on if you're using conflict resolution.