Re: ODBC on unix

From: JB <SAN3141_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:43:24 -0700

On Jul 16, 9:42 am, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2:55 am, Susan <susan..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to install a 3rd party app on asolarisserver. One of the
> > requirement from the app is to haveODBCdriver installed.
>
> UsuallyODBCdrivers are installed on one or more client(s) ( windows
> machine usually) not the database server.
>
> For example, Microsoft access which runs on a windows client machine
> can use an ODBCdriver to retrieve information from a database server.

The thinking that ODBC is a Windows client technology is very old school. A few companies made JDBC-Net (type 3) and ODBC-Net drivers as long ago as the 90s. One was Visigenic Software (now Borland): http://www.sqlsummit.com/Workshops/Visigenic_ServerSideODBC.pdf

And Oracle acquired the Siebel Analytics Server, which uses a similar architecture for getting at data with ODBC. Isn't that why Oracle now supports federated data for BI? Received on Wed Aug 01 2007 - 01:43:24 CDT