Re: Shutdown abort: could not shutdown the database....

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:37:24 +0200

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:00:38 -0700, zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>I am using Oracle 10.1.0.4 on Windows Server 2003. Today, in
>production, no one could connect to database. They will just keep
>waiting and may get an error:
>ORA-25254: time-out in LISTEN while waiting for a message
>ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_AQ", line 577
>ORA-06512: at "SYSMAN.EMD_NOTIFICATION", line 509
>ORA-06512: at line 1
>
>Aletrt.log had same message (i.e., problem was not because some folder
>was 100%full lor no of processes exceeded).
>
>I wanted to restart the database. Windows Service was up, so I
>connected to database and ran:
>Shutdown abort
>However abort got hung as well. Waited for 10 minutes, then I tried
>to restart Oracle Windows Service. Windows Service will not start.
>Oradim.log did not have any useful information, same was true for
>event log.
>
>Eventually, I rebooted Windows Server and everything started working.
>
>Can anything be done to avoid this problem other than moving off of
>Windows Server which is not practical.
>Thanks.

Two things

- upgrade to a supported version of Oracle (10gR1 is desupported)
- alter system set aq_tm_processes = 0 prior to shutdown
- kill any jobs inside Oracle related to aq

Apart from that move to a scalable O/S
On Unix you would just find the process id of the dbwr and issue a kill -9 on that and presto...

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA