Re: Does runtime processing of stored procedure parameters vary between Oracle releases?

From: Eric Chevalier <etech_at_tulsagrammer.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:18:52 -0500

On 24 Jul 2007 14:13:04 -0500,
Richard Piasecki <usenet2_at_ogoent.com> wrote:

>The application is clearly using ODBC, so I would want to know
>about the differences in the ODBC drivers used. For example,
>perhaps the ODBC driver used when Oracle 8 and Oracle 9 were the
>database releases was written by Microsoft and was able to handle
>the call (don't know how, but maybe). But, maybe now, with Oracle
>10g, you're using an ODBC driver written by Oracle which isn't as
>understanding. That's just an example possibility, of course. The
>point is I would want to know if the driver has changed and how.
>
>But, in all likelihood, the problem is the fact that they are
>lying to you about the code never having been changed.

I'd like to thank "hpuxrac", Daniel and Richard for your comments and suggestions! Richard, your comments pretty much hit the nail on the head: my problem turned out to be a driver issue.

The application was originally developed to access Oracle databases using the "Data Direct for ODBC" "wire-protocol" drivers, and updated versions of those drivers are what I'm using for my testing. After beating my head against a wall over the "wrong number or types of arguments" error, I switched over to Oracle's native ODBC driver. The application worked!

Went back and took a closer look at the Data Direct driver configuration and found an "Advanced" option called "Procedure Returns Results" that was unchecked. After enabling that option, my application ran with the Data Direct drivers, also.

The documentation that came with the current Data Direct drivers did not show a "Procedure Returns Results" option, so I'm speculating that it's a recent addition to the driver. older versions of the Data Direct drivers, such as the ones my customer is using, may have always assumed that "Procedure Returns Results".

Thanks for your help!
Eric

--
Eric Chevalier                          E-mail: etech_at_tulsagrammer.com
                                           Web: www.tulsagrammer.com