OS Authentication with winXP client Linux Server

From: Dazza <DarylFerris_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:11:04 -0700

Having trawled through many many documentation links, I still cannot find my answer.

I am working on a corporate network (secure). The database resides on a Linux server connected to that network. The clients all run Windows XP connected to the same network.

I am trying to set up OS Authentication, so the windows users can connect to the database (typically via an app or two I have written) using their own XP userid, withouth prompting for a password.

All the doco I have seen related to windows client/windows server (including setting SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) on both which isn't relevant on a linux server, I am lead to believe),

Currently in the database, I have the following set: os_authent_prefix ops$

I have created an external user with the name OPS$MYUSERID

When I use my linux account and run sqlplus directly on the database server, I can connect using:
sqlplus /@dbname
and it works.

The session gets created for OPS$MYUSERID and I can get in.

But when I try the same from my Windows Client, I get ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied.

Checking the audit for failed logons, it shows : OS_USERNAME=MYUSERID
USERNAME=null
USERHOST=MYCLIENTNAME So it would appear to be sending null instead of the expected OPS $MYUSERID to the server.

In my client, I do have SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS), although I am unsure whether this works when the server is linux.

By the way, I have remote_os_authent = false and I am trying to leave it that way.

Can I do this? Can I set up OS Authentication with a Linux Server, Windows Client?

Thanks for any help.

Dazza Received on Thu Jul 26 2007 - 21:11:04 CDT