HELP - Oracle Schema Import problem

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:02:40 -0700

Hi,

I have 2 identical Solaris servers (freshly installed v490 - dual CPU 8GB RAM). The OS (Solaris 10) were both installed to an agreed spec by 2 diff consultants (all disk mirrored and striped).

I created identical 9208 DB instances on both servers (using identical scripts with only diff being SID names).

I then imported a schema dump (from another db server) on server 1. This took about 3 hrs.

However, despite an idential setup the second server took up to 3 times longer than the first to import the same export dump (except this dump was sourced from a Linux db whereas the first was from another solaris instance)

Im not an expert DBA and in the morning need to start troublesheeting this performance bottleneck. Could the linux sourced export be the reason for it being being slower on server 2. No logs etc were generated whilst importing.

If I rule out using a linux derived export dump AND verify there are no i/o issues with the Solaris server how would you suggest I proceed to identify the bottelneck on server 2.

Apologies for the simplistic explanation (there are reasons for using the Linux export) but I'd appreciate any pointers on how to start solving this as I'm currently stuck in a hotel room and cant get my hands on the system until the morning.

Thanks in advance
John Received on Thu Jul 26 2007 - 20:02:40 CDT