Re: Recovery Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:10:03 -0700

Paul wrote:
> God I love helpful people - do you want me to spend an hour explaining
> why we can't back up the data or do you just assume that in every
> single situation you are right and the poster is an idiot? I stated
> the data is not backed up for a reason, I even said don't bother
> mentioning it.

In answer to your statement above you may not be an idiot but you've put yourself into a situation that is idiotic.

Very simply: Anyone using an Oracle database under restrictions that the data can not be backed up is playing Russian roulette. There is no question a disaster will strike. The issues is when ... not if. And it will happen again and again and again.

Does the no backup rule also restrict you from using RAID or just common sense?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington