Re: oracle server for learning purposes?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:56:05 -0700

hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 23, 7:13 pm, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> On Jul 23, 6:53 am, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> If you exclude all use except A, there is no need to point out that B
>>> and C are not allowed. Once you state that B and C are not allowed, on
>>> the other hand, you are stating that A is not all-encompassing.
>> I think, and I'm only married to a lawyer and she doesn't practice in
>> california which is the relevant jurisdiction, that that's an argument
>> rather than a rule/custom in law.

> Indeed it's an argument. Which is what lawyers are good at.
>
>>> Put another way: you only clarify when clarification is needed. That
>>> the Corporation sought to clarify a 'thou shalt only use this product
>>> to do A' statement tells us (me, at least) that their first sentence
>>> is not proscriptive of all uses except A.
>> lawyers only clarify when clarification is needed? That must be the
>> reason for all those email disclaimers then - clearly written because
>> clarification is needed.

> Lawyers, even your wife, will call that a non sequiteur. A disclaimer
> disclaims. And hopefully in clear and concise language, because the
> less clear and less concise it is, the more wiggle room there is for
> your opponents to make a case.
>
>>> Besides which, there's more to it than the reading of two sentences.
>>> You have to read the entire license, not two sentences. And the list
>>> of 'you may nots' included in part 3 of the license is further
>>> evidence that the license **as a whole** is not proscriptive of non-
>>> prototyping use, whatever one or two sentences may purport.  And there
>>> remains the fact that I think we're agreed on: no definition of
>>> 'prototyping' is offered, so pretty much anything bar commercial use
>>> of the software could be construed as being allowed.
>> But the only part of the license that you seem to be offering is the
>> one line about third party training. There doesn't appear to be any
>> other segment of the license that mentions learning/home use at all.

> Then you haven't been reading what I've read.
>
> Part 1 (using the references mentioned above by Hans) contains two
> sentences which contain within them an unnecessary clarification that
> seems to negate the flat prohibition of everything bar prototyping
> that sentence one seems to assert.
>
> Parts 1 and 3 contradict each other, because the list of 'may nots'
> does not claim to be 'for example, but not limited to'
>
> And there is no definition of 'prototyping' that precludes the use of
> the software for solo home learning purposes, whereas reasonable
> people might well suggest that if you're going to prototype an
> application for RAC, for example, you will first need to learn what
> RAC is, how to install it, how to configure it and so on.
>
> That's three arguments against the proposition you started with, not
> one, and I've made all three of them repeatedly.
>
> There is in fact a fourth, which is that the license explicitly seeks
> [...]

In a practical sense I suspect the license does precisely what it is intended to do. It gives Oracle the ability to make the software available to a wide variety of individuals and organizations and at the same time yank on the leash if something happens that they view as an abuse.

They can't put it out there with no license and they don't want their legal beagles to tighten down the screws so tightly that we would all feel obligated to get a legal opinion before going to OTN.

Contracts are almost always a compilation of clauses; each one dealing with avoiding a previously identified error in judgment. The way this license reads my presumption would be that Oracle is perfectly happy having a large stick in plain sight and doesn't have to pick it up very often.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington