Re: No rollback

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:02:22 +0200

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:23:30 +0200, "astalavista" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>> Here is a short example that may explain what you are seeing:
>> Create a simple table:
>> CREATE TABLE T1 (MY_DATE DATE);
>>
>> Table created.
>>
>> Activate a 10046 trace for the session:
>> ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 TRACE NAME CONTEXT FOREVER, LEVEL 8';
>>
>> Insert 99,999 rows into the table.
>> INSERT INTO
>> T1
>> SELECT
>> TRUNC(SYSDATE)+ROWNUM
>> FROM
>> DUAL
>> CONNECT BY
>> LEVEL<100000;
>>
>> 99999 rows created.
>>
>> Close SQL*Plus:
>> EXIT
>>
>> Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bit
>> Production
>>
>> (Reconnect to Oracle)
>>
>> Let's see how many rows are in the table:
>> SELECT
>> COUNT(*)
>> FROM
>> T1;
>>
>> COUNT(*)
>> ----------
>> 99999
>>
>> Taking a look at the last two lines of the 10046 trace file:
>> WAIT #0: nam='SQL*Net message from client' ela= 5831875 driver
>> id=1413697536 #bytes=1 p3=0 obj#=-1 tim=2429307593
>> XCTEND rlbk=0, rd_only=0
>>
>> The last line indicates that a COMMIT was performed automatically when
>> SQL*Plus closed. This is the default behavior for SQL*Plus.
>>
>> Charles Hooper
>> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
>> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
>

>I understand that if there is an exit, a commit is done
>but the session was killed ...

Was it? Do we have any proof from an audit record the session actually WAS killed?
The code you submitted is trivial and will complete on any decent system within the time you need to type kill -9 <pid> or alter system kill session.
I would suggest the session did complete before the kill command we don't know (after Rene Artois, cafe owner in 'Allo 'Allo) was fired.

Before you start yelling, you would need to issue AUDIT SESSION. One would need to see the *exact* sequence of commands, including the *exact* kill command, and you still didn't include a version.  I know you can't be bothered to type several digits and a few dots, and you expect us to keep track of the sw you are using, but we are doing this in our spare free time, and we are not looking over your shoulder.
So if you don't want to be ignored in the future, you would better cooperate, and submit all those tiny little details you don't want to type, because it is too much work for you.

--

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA