Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: continuation...

Re: continuation...

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:36:11 GMT
Message-ID: <%xcoi.40184$>

">>>>>> If there are business needs, nothing can really stop a company from

>>>>>> upgrading. Technologies are there to support businesses. Some may
>>>>>> think the other way around. Not just CTOs, many people would be
>>>>>> risking theirs jobs, if they don't carefully consider the business
>>>>>> impacts.
>>>>> I often, due to what I do, find myself talking with IT management at a
>>>>> sufficiently high level to know what they are doing. The driving need
>>>>> is compliance and CTOs and CFOs are very aware of what can put them
>>>>> into
>>>>> legal jeopardy.
>>>> What are they saying? They upgrade because they are afraid of legal
>>>> issues?
>>> That is a reasonable incentive.
>> Yes, everyone, upgrade immediately, or face legal consequences.
> Your comment is dripping with sarcasm. If you have some other moral
> compass you think DBAs should follow why don't you tell us about it.
> My sense of morality still requires me to do more than just what I
> can get away with.

This is no sarcasm, if everything you say here is true. It has none to do with morality, unless you think not upgrading to the lastest Oracle as being immoral.

>>>> From my experience, high level IT managers have the least idea what
>>>> versions of Oracle they are running.
>>> Because, for the most part, the people they pay to run things for them
>>> keep them in the dark.
>>> Get me started on this and you will get a rant about fiduciary duty.
>> I think it is more like they are not interested. Fiduciary duty does not
>> mean upgrade Oracle immediately. The upper management would know much
>> more about this and legal issues than if the company is running 10g.

> Not to criticize grammar here but "What?"
> It is your responsibility as an IT professional to inform management
> when you believe they are not following best practice and the law. To do
> otherwise is irresponsible by any ethical standard. Though I am fully
> aware that it is the S.O.P. in 2007.

You are going off to a different topic again. Does the best practice or the law say anything about not on the lastest version?

>>>> So how many databases does Boeing have and what applications are they
>>>> running?
>>> You've really got to be kidding asking that question and especially
>>> asking that question here. Perhaps you've not heard of the skunk works.
>>> <g>
>> If you can't answer these questions, it is pretty much pointless.

> Can't or won't. In this case won't.
> Your question is roughly equivalent to "tell me confidential and
> proprietary information entrusted to you by one of your customers."
> But certainly not out of line with someone dismissive of obeying the law. 
> Sorry Bob but I really have little respect for people willing to
> say "I know what the law is and I'm going to ignore it because it isn't
> important to me personally."

It doesn't matter it is can't or won't. There is no data to support your argument.

Wow, many people must have broken "the law".

>>> I'm not laughing and neither are a lot of C-Level managers I know.
>>> I expect a lot of people with what appears to be your attitude will
>>> become "former" DBAs within the next 7 to 10 years and it won't be
>>> due to age.
>> Some of them may be losing sleep because they are not on 10g. LOL.

> Please display this very same respect for the law the next time you are
> pulled over for speeding: And post the videotape from the trial on 
> YouTube.

Don't worry. Even I drive an older car, that doesn't mean I will speed. Received on Fri Jul 20 2007 - 19:36:11 CDT

Original text of this message