Re: Insert intotakes ages

From: ErikYkema <erik.ykema_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:14:46 -0000

On Jul 19, 1:19 pm, valigula <valig..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> Is it any reasonable reason why an "insert into select" statement takes
> ages to execute?
> i mean when i execute only the select it takes about 30 sec, but if i
> add the "insert into stamment" .. Yesterday I stopped the query after
> 3 hours and with no results.
> i could attach the code but it is a long query that cross several
> tables.
>
> has this append to anyone??
>
> Thanks
>
> A.

You may need to deepen your understanding of Oracle concepts. Many things could be going on. E.g. many kinds of locking, bitmap indexes on the target, slow storage, server hogged, etc. Try to create table foo as select from [your statement]. Is that slow too?
Also please state your Oracle version and OS details. Try running 'alter session set sqltrace=true' before your statement or run a 10046 trace and use tkprof on the output in the udump directory in order to get a scientific approach about where the time is spent. May query the dynamic views to get some locking insight. Good luck, Erik Ykema Received on Fri Jul 20 2007 - 16:14:46 CDT