Re: Which SYS or SYSTEM objects should I keep to memory - 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:00:07 -0700

Jeremy Smith wrote:
> I've read that some of the sys and system objects would benefit from
> being pinned to the keep pool. I think I have an active DB with over
> 600 IO pre sec. I know what most everyone will say, and I've been
> doing SQL tunning/application tunning, which is never ending. But
> wanted to focus on this subject pinning objects from sys or system.
> Thanks I look forward from reading this furom's thoughts, if you know
> of any objects that are good candidates for the keep pool, please
> include them in your responce.

Well here's what one person will say though I'm not sure it is quite what you were looking forward to.

Have you read any books on the subject, such as Cary Milsap's or are you just randomly throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something will stick. There is no justification for "never ending" tuning.

Get a copy of Optimizing Oracle Performance / ISBN 0-59600-527-X and don't do anything until you've read it at least twice. My impression is that you are doing as much harm as good: Perhaps more.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington