Re: oracle query questions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:27:12 -0700

Paul Linehan wrote:

> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>>> It seems to me that some people on this ng
>>> are more interested in slagging off people who

>> And who are you?

> Someone who lurks mostly but has posted in the past.
>
> Anyway, it doesn't matter who I am (after all, this
> could be a fake id), just deal with my opinions and
> merit (or lack) thereof.
>

> Paul...
>

>> Frank van Bortel

I read your opinion and respectfully disagree.

SQL is not generic. What works in Oracle, especially 8i, will not work in other products and is nearly worthless. No one learns RDBMS or SQL as a hobby ... it is learned withing the context of being a job skill.

If it takes equal effort to learn 10gR2 or 8i then learning 8i is of no value. Would you teach someone rub sticks together who was trying to learn how to start a backyard BBQ?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington