Re: insert into too slow

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:20:08 -0700

valigula wrote:
> Hi all
>

> oracle 9i
> When i execute a "insert into select" it takes ages. It took yesterday
> over 3 hours with no results, but when i execute just the select it
> takes 30 sec. has anyone has a similar problem.
>
> I did not post the query since cross several tables and use a few
> cases withing the select.

It might be indexes but it would take a lot of indexes to go from 30 seconds to 3 hours. Run a trace and StatsPack.

Are the rows being inserted going into new index blocks (new higher surrogate key for example) or being stitched into existing blocks and possibly causing a huge amount of block splitting?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington