Re: continuation...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:58:55 -0700

Bob Jones wrote:

>>> If there are business needs, nothing can really stop a company from
>>> upgrading. Technologies are there to support businesses. Some may think
>>> the other way around. Not just CTOs, many people would be risking theirs
>>> jobs, if they don't carefully consider the business impacts.
>> I often, due to what I do, find myself talking with IT management at a
>> sufficiently high level to know what they are doing. The driving need
>> is compliance and CTOs and CFOs are very aware of what can put them into
>> legal jeopardy.

> What are they saying? They upgrade because they are afraid of legal issues?

That is a reasonable incentive.

> From my experience, high level IT managers have the least idea what versions
> of Oracle they are running.

Because, for the most part, the people they pay to run things for them keep them in the dark.

Get me started on this and you will get a rant about fiduciary duty.

> So how many databases does Boeing have and what applications are they
> running?

You've really got to be kidding asking that question and especially asking that question here. Perhaps you've not heard of the skunk works. <g>

> They need 300 DBAs even with Grid Control? Maybe ariplane companies just
> have a lot of cash these days.

Or maybe they have a lot of real need to support an extremely large amount of business in every country that has an airport. They do a lot more than build airplanes.

>> If you don't keep your IT management in the dark about the dark-ages
>> practices of your current software's capabilities you may find them
>> very interested in moving to 10g, 11g, audit vault, and other
>> contemporary technologies. Likely the only reason they aren't leading
>> the charge is that no one has sat down with them and given them a
>> realistic appraisal of risk vs reward.

> If you give them this as the reason to upgrade, they may award you as the
> funniest employee of the year. If the reason is that compelling, Oracle
> salespeople would have been using it everywhere.

I'm not laughing and neither are a lot of C-Level managers I know. I expect a lot of people with what appears to be your attitude will become "former" DBAs within the next 7 to 10 years and it won't be due to age.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington