Re: Special Characters Created on a UNIX system with HP Terminal on US7ASCII

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:40:04 -0700

On Jul 17, 3:46 pm, gk24 <g..._at_nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a customer who uses an application on a UNIX server. The
> database (US7ASCII, 9i) is on a Windows server. The system was
> migrated from a 2-tier solution before meaning the application and the
> database were on UNIX before.
>
> (...)
> The nls_lang settings are US7ASCII on all three tiers. The dump
> function shows the e.g. the German "ü" is stored as &CF in the
> database.

[Seems Google ate my reply =|]

Something is not right here: You are using a US7ASCII DB to store German Umlauts? I wonder how that ever worked. Character code for ue" is 0xFC so that looks about right.

Maybe, in addition to looking up the stuff in the Oracle Globalization Manual you also want to look up ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) and Windows-1252 (CP1252)

br,
Martin Received on Thu Jul 19 2007 - 00:40:04 CDT