Re: here's a good one from dizwell on the recent product launch

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:50:00 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Niall Litchfield wrote:

>> On Jul 17, 3:47 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>>> I've yet to see you mention a single problem though I've invited
>>> you to do so.
>>
>> Should be a simple enough search on metalink.
>>
>> Look up for example bug 5014578 - reported a year and a half ago -
>> customer gets wrong results - slated to be fixed in 11 - admittedly
>> the customer is running solaris 64bit so the wait to get correct data
>> out of their database may only be a couple of years or so.

> I don't have a machine capable of running 64bit Solaris in the lab: 32
> but not 64. There is, however a 64 bit Solaris Beta available.
>
> If anyone in the Seattle area has a machine I could borrow for one day
> I'd be happy to run the test.

I looked at this one tonight. The problem boils down to the following reproducible case

select 1 from dual

where ('Tout' = CASE 'Oui'
		WHEN 'Oui' THEN 'Y'
		WHEN 'Non' THEN 'N'
		ELSE 'Tout' END)

/

Exactly as this - i.e it has to be literals used in this manner, with this outcome.

This was reported in Feb 01, diagnosed by Feb 28, and assigned to a developer to fix. Based on perceived priority it was fixed and checked into the 11g code line in June. Priority was set low basically because the query is pretty darn stupid when you look at it. In this case, it was generated by an end-user access tool, which is presumably doing some sort of weird type of dynamic query macro processing to force a certain behavior that works across more than one database implemenation. There has not been a single request for a backport for this bug in the year and a half it has been open, and I also couldn't find any subsequent SRs that were soft closed based on this as a known problem (My SR search was not exhaustive).

However, I really don't think this bug is indicative of what Nuno is talking about. Received on Wed Jul 18 2007 - 23:50:00 CDT