Re: HELP! Renamed a computer with oracle xe

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:44:30 -0700

On Jul 17, 8:31 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> adam.ornst..._at_tridion.com wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> > Im having a bit of a problem, we renamed our server that is housing
> > oracle XE and a website... Now it cannot find the database!
>
> > Is there any steps that you know of that may help to solve this issue?
>
> > Thank you SO much.
>
> Rename it back to its original name and promise not to do things like
> that again without reading the docs and understanding the implications.
>
> Why would anyone care what name a server has as long as long as it
> isn't a duplicate?

Well, what if you had a server in division Y of company X that was named Xsomething, then company X spun off division Y into its own company and gave it the server, even though they still use the same server room and network?

This is not a hypothetical for me. Actually all my work spam is to the old domain, if it were up to me I'd just turn it off. But I'm not the only one on the domain, and I'm still straightening out how vendors contact me. They often have this weird thing about using customer company names to build naturalistic primary keys or something. I'm just glad Oracle wasn't involved in this one.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Gummint screws up largest criminal tax fraud case in US history by not