Re: Seeking understanding of my "gc cr multi block request" waits

From: Richard Piasecki <usenet2_at_ogoent.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2007 08:51:03 -0500

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:16:40 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:13:44 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Run these:
>>>
>>> -- Current block transfer statistics
>>>
>>> col "AVG RECVD TIME (ms)" format 9999999.9
>>> col inst_id format 9999
>>> prompt GCS CURRENT BLOCKS
>>>
>>> SELECT b1.inst_id, b2.value RECEIVED, b1.value "RECEIVE TIME",
>>> ((b1.value/b2.value)*10) "AVG RECEIVE TIME (ms)"
>>>FROM gv$sysstat b1, gv$sysstat b2
>>> WHERE b1.name = 'global cache current block receive time'
>>> AND b2.name = 'global cache current blocks received'
>>> AND b1.inst_id = b2.inst_id;
>>>
>>> -- block contention measured by using block transfer time
>>>
>>> col "AVG RECVD TIME (ms)" format 9999999.9
>>> col inst_id format 9999
>>>
>>> SELECT b1.inst_id, b2.value RECEIVED, b1.value "RECEIVE TIME",
>>> ((b1.value/b2.value)*10) "AVG RECEIVE TIME (ms)"
>>>FROM gv$sysstat b1, gv$sysstat b2
>>> WHERE b1.name = 'global cache cr block receive time'
>>> AND b2.name = 'global cache cr blocks received'
>>> AND b1.inst_id = b2.inst_id;
>>>
>>> They may point in the right direction.
>>
>> Just a quick question (I'm a bit weary of submitting an SR again,
>> especially where Oracle has been so unhelpful). It quite often happens
>> to me *any* query (even the most simple ones) from any gv$ view just
>> *hangs* forever. Tracing the session I noticed a bunch of DFS lock
>> handle events and a bunch of PX Deq Reap Credit events.
>> Metaclunck did come up with a bunch of blabla, but no solutions or
>> even workarounds.
>> Am I correct in stating Oracle will stop working on 9iR2 SRs after
>> July 31?
>
>I can't answer that one but my experience with RAC from 9.2.0.4 to
>the present would make me want to upgrade every cluster I could lay
>my hands on to 10.2.0.1 or higher. The increase in stability and of
>the technology is substantial: Especially the installation with the
>cluster verify tool.

I thank you for the replies, gentlemen.

Daniel, I'll have to run the queries you posted for the problematic session, only. Running them for the whole system won't give me much information, I'm afraid.

Sybrand, we're also using UDP over 1 Gb ethernet. Also, I know you are on 9i, but could your problem be related to bug #3951017? The good news for your situation is that Oracle has waived the first year of the extended support fee, so you won't be hit by that 10% penalty when 9i moves to extended support on August 1. And, doesn't Oracle still provide the same level of support with extended as they do with premier, just at an increased price? If that's the case, they should still work on SRs. But, don't quote me.