Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: agt <gerryt_at_vcn.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:25:11 -0700

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, DA Morgan wrote:

DM : gerryt wrote:
DM : > On Jul 16, 6:39 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
DM : >
DM : >> Here's the official word from Oracle copied from an email I just received
DM : >> =================================================================
DM : >> Hi Daniel - Answers to the first question:
DM : >> 1. RDBMS (i.e. non RAC): yes we support containers, i.e. projects and zones
DM : >> See Note 317257.1 in MetaLink
DM : >> 2. RAC/CRS/PCW: we support only limited containers, i.e. projects yes
DM : >> but local zones NO, i.e. all RAC/CRS products MUST be running in the
DM : >> global zone.
DM : >> See Note 435464.1 in MetaLink
DM : >> 3. GRID: doesn't support projects and doesn't support zones.
DM : >> There is an Enhancement Request logged on this one.
DM : >> Hope that this helps.
DM : >> Dave
DM : >> =================================================================
DM : >> So there it is ... you can use them ... but best pay attention to
DM : >> when and where.
DM : >
DM : > You cant escape "projects" on Solaris 10
DM : > cat /etc/project
DM : > system:0::::
DM : > user.root:1::::
DM : > noproject:2::::
DM : > default:3::::
DM : > group.staff:10::::
DM : >
DM : > So the last answer (3) makes no sense to me : >
DM : > I could fire up my one remaining 9 box which has projects as well
DM : > but Im going to assume that 10g Grid Control for Solaris 10 SPARC is
DM : > supported
DM : > but I cant tell: "MetaLink Network or Page Error".. when I try to look
DM : > up
DM : > www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html
DM :
DM : It may not make sense but I'd serious recommend getting clarification
DM : before bumping into the restriction. Personally I'd put it on Oracle's
DM : Linux as a first choice.

Posting via Google is impossible today so.. Never Lie-nux! Nuff said I guess : >

But I will check into this - its like saying yes we support Solaris 10 but not if you use projects (which cant be avoided) The best vendor copout Ive ever heard and Ive seen/heard of some pretty "good" ones : > But is this just Grid Control only??

All I care about is 10gR2 Enterprise

According to the matrix I can get at it says: Operating System: Solaris Operating System (SPARC) Version 10 Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition Version 10gR2 64-bit N/A Version N/A

Product Version Note:
None available for this product.

Certification Note:

Existing Patch Sets: