Re: Duplicate database

From: Richard Piasecki <usenet2_at_ogoent.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2007 11:24:07 -0500

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:25:13 +0200, "astalavista" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>To duplicate a database on the same machine (not using RMAN)
>
>On UNIX, I can mount two times the same database
>if I rename lk* or sgadef*
>
>On Windows, no lk* or sgadef* ?
>How I can do that ?
>
>Can I do that with nid ?
>
>Oracle 9.2.0.6

Sounds almost like you are trying to create a second database with the same instance SID on the same server. Don't do that. Just perform a hot backup of the source database to another disk directory (i.e. put the tablespaces in backup mode and copy the datafiles). Start-up another instance with a different sid, create a new controlfile, perform the recovery and then use NID to change the database name and database ID. That's the general process. I've done it lots of times.

Why don't you want to use the RMAN duplicate command? It'll make everything a lot easier.