Re: here's a good one from dizwell on the recent product launch

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:34:53 -0700

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:21:09 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
> wrote:
>

>>> ... why do you think so many things only use 7.3 features?
>> Because many people are terminally lazy and many companies would
>> rather make money selling consulting services (tuning) rather
>> than making a decent product.

> Actually, no: Because many companies don't NEED the new features.
> We have one customer running a HRM package on 8i and Win2k.
> They don't upgrade the HRM package, because they don't need a new
> version (probably they aren't even aware there is a new one).
> Consequently they don't upgrade Microsux and they don't upgrade
> Oracle.
> Their server is 5 years old. It works!

Apparently the companies you refer to are not subject to government regulations like Sarbanes-Oxley, PIPEDA, BASEL II, etc. Much of what has pushed the movement to 10g here is compliance and auditing.

One public company I've consulted for was perfectly happy with 7.3.4 until their auditor refused to sign their financial statement. Six weeks later they discovered the wonderful world of 9.2.0.6 and a version of the database without svrmgr and with FGA.

> Many customers just *CAN'T* (I repeat bloody CAN'T) upgrade, because
> their vendors don't upgrade to newer versions of Oracle.

This is the real issue and one I wish Oracle would address. I understand why they don't want to but I really wish they would.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington