Re: here's a good one from dizwell on the recent product launch

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:37:47 -0700

On 17 Jul, 06:06, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> Actually, no: Because many companies don't NEED the new features.
> We have one customer running a HRM package on 8i and Win2k.
> They don't upgrade the HRM package, because they don't need a new
> version (probably they aren't even aware there is a new one).
> Consequently they don't upgrade Microsux and they don't upgrade
> Oracle.
> Their server is 5 years old. It works!
>
> Many customers just *CAN'T* (I repeat bloody CAN'T) upgrade, because
> their vendors don't upgrade to newer versions of Oracle.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

About five years ago I went to a job interview. Without being too specific, it was for an Oracle DBA role at a very large nuclear power facility. During the interview I was surprised to learn that they were still running on Oracle 6 (to put this in perspective, 9i had been out for around six months and, as an aspiring DBA, I'd really cut my teeth on 7.3.x). Anyway, during the course of the interview I raised a question regarding their upgrade plans. "We have no plans to upgrade" was the reply. "Why?" I asked. The DBA grinned: "Do you want to 'upgrade' a nuclear power station?" I figured that I didn't...

It was a closed system that didn't interact with anything outside of its network. The point being: it worked as it was. There's nothing inherently wrong with legacy systems, despite what the marketing guys would have you believe. Received on Tue Jul 17 2007 - 05:37:47 CDT