Re: here's a good one from dizwell on the recent product launch

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:22:22 -0700

On Jul 17, 3:47 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> I've yet to see you mention a single problem though I've invited
> you to do so.

Should be a simple enough search on metalink.

Look up for example bug 5014578 - reported a year and a half ago - customer gets wrong results - slated to be fixed in 11 - admittedly the customer is running solaris 64bit so the wait to get correct data out of their database may only be a couple of years or so.

> Rather than spitting into the wind pick the three bugs that bug
> you the most and send me code that will demo the problem.
>
> If you aren't willing to do so then I guess the bugs aren't as
> important to you as the angst.

I don't think it unreasonable to imagine that noons has test cases with support - any normal dba would. They'd be unlikely to send test cases and potentially company data to someone posting on usenet.

> What I find interesting about the complaints about how terrible
> it all is ... is that somehow, in spite of all the problems, every
> major bank in North America is still in business. Amazon.com is
> still in business. Boeing is still making airplanes. Insurance
> companies are still selling and servicing policies. And every
> hospital in this region is still opening its doors to patients.
> Makes me think that, just perhaps, you've lost a tiny bit of
> perspective.

There has also unfortunately been a pattern of security researchers notifying Oracle of security bugs and not getting them fixed for several years. It's one of the reasons (along with the standard of security awareness among developers and dbas generally) that I wrote the bit in http://www.orawin.info/services/node/29 about high profile databases being compromised. Microsoft learnt the lesson the hard way with the slammer worm - it wouldn't surprise me if Oracle doesn't experience a similar PR disaster.

Niall Received on Tue Jul 17 2007 - 03:22:22 CDT