Re: here's a good one from dizwell on the recent product launch

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:06:56 +0200

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:21:09 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> ... why do you think so many things only use 7.3 features?
>
>Because many people are terminally lazy and many companies would
>rather make money selling consulting services (tuning) rather
>than making a decent product.

Actually, no: Because many companies don't NEED the new features. We have one customer running a HRM package on 8i and Win2k. They don't upgrade the HRM package, because they don't need a new version (probably they aren't even aware there is a new one). Consequently they don't upgrade Microsux and they don't upgrade Oracle.
Their server is 5 years old. It works!

Many customers just *CAN'T* (I repeat bloody CAN'T) upgrade, because their vendors don't upgrade to newer versions of Oracle.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA