Re: continuation...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:51:26 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:
>

>> In your country perhaps. Here at least 60% of my customers
>> are either in 10g or will be by year's end. Only a very
>> small percentage are in 8.1.7.4 or below.

> I don't profess to have access to or consult to a large number of
> clients, as you do, but the clients I do consult for are large financial
> clients here in Boston and none of them are making any fast moves to
> 10G. A database upgrade is a massive undertaking that mandates that the
> clients of the database have internally architected a solid, tested and
> trustable regression test cycle, and this has nothing to do with how
> well the database vendor's product is architected. And nobody, that I
> have ever consulted for, ever got that correct. So, instead, they all do
> it slowly and methodically.

Same here but perhaps our definition of "slowly and methodically" differ. 10g is now 3 years old and most of the big firms had it as beta so make that more like 4.

What you are describing is organizations that are adopting technologies just in time to see them begin desupport. <g>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington