here's a good one from dizwell on the recent product launch

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:09:09 -0700

On Jul 16, 11:54 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Noons wrote:
> > it is COMPLETELY unacceptable that Oracle continues to
> > deliver new releases without fixing first what are absolutely
> > egregious bugs.
>
> > Would you like me to publicly go into the details
> > once more? With pleasure.
>
> I've got what I hope is a better idea ... send the list to me
> describing how to test each and every one of them and I promise to
> open an SR on any that are not fixed in 11g within one week.

Let's see if google drops my reply now...

Here is an even better idea:

next time you feel like classing as incompetent any dba who refuses to install buggy rubbish over their running systems, why don't you do this:

1- go to Metalick and search for all bugs and patches for 10.2.0.2.

2- count them.

3- check out how many are for problems with features first announced in 8ir3.

4- count them.

5- rinse and repeat for 10.2.0.3, 10.1.0.3, 9ir2 - various releases, 9ir1 - various releases.

6- count the years all those releases span.

then stop and think: why is it that folks are SO reluctant to install new releases?

Could it be it's just TOO MANY YEARS of
constant buggy releases on the same problems? Narh!.....

Because they are all a bunch of "incompetent" dbas? Sure...

Ah yes, don't expect me to do Oracle's work for you: I don't work for them and haven't for over 20 years. And they certainly haven't done me any favours that I need to repay. Quite the opposite, in fact.

To sum up: stop calling everyone in sight "incompetent dba". There are VERY good reasons why folks refuse to blindly install the latest from Oracle in their current running systems and they have nothing to do with competency.

Try to read the release notes for Peoplesoft/Peopletools, JDE, Siebel, etcetc. And count the patches that need to be applied just to get things moving, let alone running efficiently.

It might enlighten you on how well appreciated and irrelevant your tirades on people's "competence" really are.

And how irrelevant they are to folks who have to fight buggy releases for years on end, while being constantly told it's all "their fault" because they haven't installed the latest (buggy) release!

But of course "11g has no bugs and fixes all previous ones". You know: the number of times I heard that joke for 9ir1, 9ir2, 10gr1, 10gr2.... Received on Mon Jul 16 2007 - 21:09:09 CDT