Re: SAME(stripe an mirror everything) - where to put binaries and redos?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:42:04 -0700

On Jul 16, 12:53 pm, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:39:29 -0700, Mark D Powell
>
> <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
>
> >I am not sure if file system corruption is a serious consideration or
> >not. I am unaware of our having a single file system corruption issue
> >on any of our UNIX platforms in the last 12 years even though we have
> >suffered though several major power hits, UBS failure, and disk
> >failures
>
> >On Linux and Windows this might be more of an issue. I cannot say,
> >but with our EMC and other SAN type disk units I know our system
> >administrators do not consider file system corruption in the disk
> >layouts that are provided to DBA.
>
> Just b/c it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen :)
>
> It happenned to us on Solaris, although not in recent history, and I
> think that was Solaris 7. It happenned on Linux for sure, and if we
> didn't have redo's from different places, we wouldn't been pretty
> screwed. The corruption can happen not only from system errors, but
> from user errors as well.
>
> But I am not telling you how to run your db's :)
> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> remove NSPAM to email

I've seen it twice in recent history where impatient or ignorant people pulled out more disks than RAID-5 can tolerate...

I've also seen non-oracle things use up tens of thousands of inodes, with unhappy results.

The thing is, redo is Oracle's Achilles heel. Lose it and lose transactions. One can hardly be too paranoid about it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Your pathetic allegations are so much horse manure, delusions of