Re: port allocation errors on Database 10g in Linux

From: Jeroen van den Broek <nltaal_at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:16:39 -0700

On Jul 16, 3:47 pm, John DeStefano <john.destef..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting Database Control up and running in an
> Oracle Database 10g installation in RHEL4 Linux. I consistently see
> errors like these when I try to create or recreate the repository
> using emca:
> SEVERE: Failed to allocate port(s) in the specified range(s) for the
> following process(es): JMS [5540-5559],RMI [5520-5539],Database
> Control [5500-5519],EM Agent [3938] | [1830-1849]
>
> When I check these port ranges with netstat or lsof, nothing is
> running on those ports, and I can't figure out why Oracle can't work
> with them.
>
> Thanks for any ideas you may have.

I've been reading your threads on this issue on the OTN forum, where you stated the following:
<quote>
Also confused by this part of the log:
CONFIG: No value was set for the parameter ORACLE_HOSTNAME.

... since ORACLE_HOSTNAME is set in the oracle user's ~/.bash_profile, and echo $ORACLE_HOSTNAME outputs the hostname. </quote>

which makes me believe you should check /etc/hostname because IIRC that's where emca is trying to get the hostname from.

HTH.

--
Jeroen