Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: gerryt <lepsysinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:55:47 -0700

On Jul 15, 2:26 pm, Wolfgang <wtra..._at_AT.web.de> wrote:
> gerryt schrieb:

> >> Again thank you and again this IS containers and again this is not an
> >> environment supported by Oracle except in a very superficial manner.
> > And I thank you for that!
> >> It seems you are putting your databases your DBAs, and your organization
> >> at risk.
>
> > I have this little lab.. Pulled down 10g the other day to see what
> > issues might
> > crop up as a client of mine has nice shiny new M4000 to configure.
> > (even before reading the above) I was leaning towards NOT using a
> > special zone just for Oracle, but I might still look at it.
> > A special project ID almost certainly.
> > On Solaris 10 /etc/system hacks are practically deprecated BTW.
> > Last time I looked even the Oracle install docs were aware of that
> > amazingly : >
>
> projects are not containers. you can use projects with zones, but
> projects are part of resource managment in Solaris, also in Solaris 9.

Yes all know now they are not the same thing : >

> projects are available also in older Solaris versions, not only Solaris
> 10. Every process use implicit the default project if not defined
> otherwise in /etc/project. Due to that i think projects have to be a
> supported thing with Oracle since Solaris is supported.

I think so too. I dont think there is such a thing as a process running that wont
return something from a ps -o taskid -p ## Correction there is one:
ps -o taskid -p 0
TASKID
    0
prctl -i task 0
prctl: 0: No controllable process found in task, project, or zone.

And with Solaris 10 there is always a global zone. I think that under these circumstances only non-global zones might be a support issue.

> a definition of a project does no restrict a process unless you define
> resource bindings to the project.
> maybe solaris 10 has a bug with shared memory, so oracle has problems
> with a project other than default, but I used projects with dedicated
> listeners without problems, but i wonder if oracle would be problematic
> with the.
> are there a project configuration in the oracle-agent on Sun Clusters?

No idea

> but if projects are not the adequate way to look at the resources, how
> can I differentiate between the resources used by many instances?
> I am
> not a dba and i have no access to a oracle managment console, but i want
> to monitor single instances. how can i say how much resources used
> from a instance (e.g. if i run about 10-20 instances on a single server)?

You might have to reverse engineer what you see in oracle managment console
and write a script for it. If thats even possible : < Better to get an account on the oracle managment console probably

Last time I helped with an install even root needed a tweak or two in resources via rctladm. And a couple of deprecated entries had to be put in
/etc/system just to make the install process happy. Received on Sun Jul 15 2007 - 17:55:47 CDT