Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: gerryt <lepsysinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:03:27 -0700

On Jul 14, 3:37 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> hume.spamfil..._at_bofh.ca wrote:
> > In comp.unix.solaris DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> >> Thanks ... helpful ... and now that I know it is part of Containers
> >> it takes me back to my original concern which was Oracle support and
>
> > They are related, but not bound together. You do not need to touch any
> > form of container (zones) in order to make use of project resource
> > controls. Running Oracle inside a zone is NOT the same as running it
> > inside a project!
>
> > There are Metalink documents describing how to set up Oracle 10g using
> > /etc/project for more dynamic shared memory limits. This avoids needing
> > to set /etc/system and the foolishness of reboots between changes.

Last time I checked you still had to "fool" the install procedure with entry or two in /etc/system, but that was version 9 something...

> Simple question:
> Has anyone that is a production DBA ever seen anything official from
> Oracle metalink that they will fully support this Solaris capability.
> I looked and found nothing. If Oracle supports it UNTIL you open an
> SR then it is not truly supported.

But do you mean containers (zones) or projects..? Sorry Im just a systems
kind of guy not a DBA.
But I work with DBAs so I can ask around, but I have to ask the "right" question : > Received on Sun Jul 15 2007 - 12:03:27 CDT