Re: RMAN 9i: Resetting/Clearing name for controlfile backup

From: ErikYkema <erik.ykema_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:32:43 -0000

On Jul 12, 12:33 pm, Alexander Skwar <alexan..._at_skwar.name> wrote:
> sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> You know the documentation quite well, don't you? I now found out,
> >> that I'm able to do
>
> >> SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT
>
> >> to set the filename to a name of my liking. Question still remains, why
> >> the CONFIGURE command is broken.
>
> >> Anyway. I found out, that I cannot use %s, %t, %p and %c. Could you
> >> please tell me where the documentation of Oracle 9i says, that those
> >> variables cannot be used?
>
> >> TIA,
>
> >> Alexander Skwar
>
> > Think of it. Using %F in controlfile autobackup format strings is
> > mandatory.
>
> I know, and that's perfectly fine.
>
> > So including any other format modifiers is redundant.
>
> Yep.
>
> > As for the configure command being broken. I don't know. In Oracle
> > 9.2.0.8 for AIX it works.
>
> Fine. I just don't understand, why the configure command does
> not work. Is it maybe, because the filename is supposed to contain
> an "illegal" character (which I added by mistake and now don't
> know how to remove)?
>
> Could you maybe explain to me, what "configure CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP
> FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK CLEAR;" is supposed to do? As far as I
> can tell (which might be wrong), it doesn't do what it's supposed
> to do according to documentation. (See my other posts for this.)
>
> > I don't whether it has been broken, and I'm not going to check.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alexander Skwar

I see your confusion:
- CLEAR command not working as expected (checked in http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmconc1.htm#467120) - you got 2 autobackup sets while Sybrand considers one to be the only right number.

I think it is time for you to open a Support Request at Metalink re. this issue. I guess it needs some effort for reproducing it etc. and it seems that no cdos readers are taking the invitation to reproduce and study at this moment. Perhaps the docu needs tuning, perhaps a bug due to using the funny character in the initial mask, perhaps just some plain misunderstanding.
Good luck,
Erik Ykema Received on Sun Jul 15 2007 - 06:32:43 CDT