Re: How much memory(RAM) required for OS running Oracle

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:10:24 +0100

In message <1183646560.350006.133440_at_m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, harvinder76_at_gmail.com writes
>Also By default Oracle recommends 40% of RAM for SGA but that may be
>good for small system but may not be applicable for large system. It
>is also true that we can't have a generic set
>of recommendations since it also depends upon the application and
>other factors etc but still it will be good to have some starting
>point (not 40%) so that DBA can configure the system and then modify
>the settings as required. It may be possible that such type of
>document already exists and it will be great if can point me to
>location or send me your feedback about what can SGA+PGA are set for
>particular RAM on machine, so document will look like:

Something to bear in mind, which I don't think anyone else has mentioned, is that with oracle, client processes use memory outside the database allocation. This is the basis of the 40% figure. 40% for the instance (sga etc) and the rest for client processes.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>