Re: starting oracle with solaris project

From: gerryt <lepsysinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:18:00 -0700

On Jul 14, 8:52 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> > In article <1184419924.848..._at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>,
> > DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> writes:
> >> If there is something called "Solaris Projects" please provide a link as
> >> I would like to learn what they are. Thanks.
> > man project
> That requires having Solaris which I not have access to in my lab.
> Surely there is some online documentation or mention on the web.

Indeed
Its online with a little Google assistance:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5174/6mbb98uiu?a=view

> And, again, do they relate do Solaris 10 containers? Is there some
> reason no one can state what they are?

man -s 5 zones on Solaris 10

NAME
     zones - Solaris application containers

DESCRIPTION

     The zones facility in Solaris provides an isolated  environ-
     ment  for  running applications. Processes running in a zone
     are prevented from  monitoring  or  interfering  with  other
     activity  in  the system. Access to other processes, network
     interfaces, file systems, devices, and inter-process commun-
     ication  facilities  are  restricted  to prevent interaction
     between processes in different zones.

Again available online
(but the usual PITA to find on docs.sun.com : <)

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5175/6mbba7f4a?a=view#indexterm-345

Whether this a good idea for Oracle in larger installation could be debateable.. Received on Sat Jul 14 2007 - 12:18:00 CDT