Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:22:26 -0700

Alexander Skwar wrote:
> ยท DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>:
>

>> hpuxrac wrote:

>>> Not even close.  Look up logical backup ... it's a complement to a
>>> physical backup.
>>>
>>> Have you never recovered a copy of a table at a point in time from an
>>> export?
>>>
>>> Wow.
>> Have you ever recovered an export to a point after the export was
>> taken? If so double wow.

> Have you ever recovered a table to a point in time, after
> redo logs have been wiped and standby database has been
> lost? If so, tripple wow.
>
> Alexander Skwar

Actually I have, it is easy, and here's is how:

Following best practice guidelines the logs are duplexed with one copy going to an off-site WORM drive.

It meets the requirement for guaranteed recovery and also for audit compliance as required by government regulations in some countries and for some industries.

When you get done trolling for the title "neolithic" you might discover that a few technical advances have been made since the 1980s.

Others with an interest in "best practice" might want to follow up here: http://www.plasmon.com/udo

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington