Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:59:57 +0200

ยท Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>

>> But in reality, I take a cold backup of the complete system
>> and have the EXP just as a "luxury".
>>
>> Alexander Skwar

> That's what a lot of shops do - exports in addition to.
>
> (But why "cold"?!?

I'm shutting down the application to make sure, that it is in a consistent state. If the application is already shut down, I can also easily shutdown Oracle as well - the application is the only thing which uses this Oracle database. Now, if the app is down, to make backup easy, I can shutdown Oracle also. When Oracle is off, I don't have to deal with things like putting tablespaces in BACKUP MODE or making the mistake to copy hot .dbf files or dealing with RMAN. Also recovery is a breeze - complete restore, and you're done.

Granted, it would be nice if I could put the application in "BACKUP MODE" (or something like this) - some kind of "state", where the application makes sure, that it is consistent and doesn't accept new connections or freezes them or what-do-I-know. But that simply does not exist.

You know what? As I'm already rewriting the complete application to get rid of the vault dir, I might as well make sure that something like "BACKUP MODE" is implemented. *LOOOL* :)

> - by "complete system", you mean
> file system backups?

Yes. Backup of "/" incl. subdirs (sorta. Certain directories, like /tmp or /dev, are not part of the backup).

Alexander Skwar

--
BOFH excuse #282:

High altitude condensation from U.S.A.F prototype aircraft has contaminated the primary subnet mask. Turn off your computer for 9 days to avoid damaging it.