Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:52:55 +0200

· Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:

>> · Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Where would you import it into?
>>
>> Into a newly created and otherwise empty database.
>>

> That is where a backup comes in. Just restore. No reinstall,
> rerun scripts

Ja, that's easier, you're right. However, as I replied already, in reality I don't rely on an EXP only. Right now, my "main backup" is a cold backup of the database (actually I'm doing an incremental backup of the complete system every night, which goes quite fast, as nothing essential changes (like installed binaries)). With this, getting up to speed is *VERY* easy, in the case of a complete disaster: Restore everything, start the show.

> (which are never maintained anyway)

Hehe. No comment ;)

>>> That is one major difference between backups and exports.
>>>
>>> Backups can be restored, recovered and everything is hunky-dory.
>>
>> Understood.
>>
>>> Exports (or any logical backup) must be read *into* something.
>>> What if that something is gone?
>>
>> Recreate. It's a matter of size and SLA if that's a doable
>> approach. For multi TB DBs with 5×9 requirements, it's most
>> certainly not a doable approach. But for such a tiny DB like
>> mine, it would be okay.

> Nope - I'll restore a "tiny" db (couple of GB) faster than
> Oracle recreates the database.

Okay, that's true. You're right.

> Actually, I can restore
> under a different name ("clone") a 3.5 GB 10G Rel 2
> database in 12 minutes, on a single disk system.
>
> Same would hold true for a multi TB database - you do not
> want to write those files more than once...
> And consider the time, an import would take.

Convinced.

Alexander Skwar

--
Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?