Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:10:29 +0200

ยท Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:

>> It's possible that I don't understand something here. But how
>> can you recover the database, so that it is in the state it was at
>> 22:55? Remember, the archive log files are lost. I'm really

> Ah - now that is a change in scenario!

Yes, maybe. It's a change which is necessary, to make the scenarios at least somewhat comparable.

> What I will do, after the new hardware is installed:
> * Install the Oracle software
> * Fire up RMAN
> * issue the restore command
> * issue the recover command until I think it's 22:45 again.
> * open the database.
>
> What will you do?

> But please, do not call that export "a backup".
> It is only "a" "backup" - feel the difference?

Yes, I do. Let's call it a "logical backup", okay? And call the RMAN thing a "physical backup". Which is also the terminology used by Oracle.

Alexander Skwar

--
A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
thought of.