Re: 10G R2 / ASSM / DBUA or Exp/Imp

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:16:03 GMT

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 03:15:14 -0700, Ed_Zep wrote:

> I'm guessing that most of the bugs with ASSM have been sorted out now

I tried guessing the winning lottery numbers quite a few times and I no longer trust my guesses.

> but as we're upgrading from 9.2.0.8 quite soon, I was wondering if
> rather than using the DBUA tool it would be better to do the more
> tedious exp/imp and convert to ASSM at the same time.

And how, exactly, do you plan on getting Oracle 9i into ASM? RMAN will not help you much there. Duplicate database will give you the following:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-06429: TARGET database is not compatible with this version of RMAN

> What's the current thinking re ASSM? I like the idea of being able
> reclaim space but is it something that could prove to be more trouble
> than it's worth.

ASSM or ASM?

> Also, when using DBUA on a test database I got a couple of ORA-06502 -
> PL/SQL: numeric or value errors but the database seemed fine with no
> invalid PL/SQL. Is that expected from DBUA?

Have you installed 10.2.0.3 patchset and CPU patches for April?

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com