Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Alexander Skwar <alexander_at_skwar.name>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:56:13 +0200

Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>

>> Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>> would >> be my best solution. What advantage does RMAN offer over
>> backing up >> the "hot" database .dbf files in combination with the
>> archived redo >> log files? I'm only interested in doing backup to
>> disk. At least for >> now.
>> >
>> > To do a hot backup, you need to put the tablespace in backup mode.
>>
>> What would happen, if I would NOT do this?
>
> I can't say what would /actually/ happen, as I've never been dumb
> enough to try it ;-)

Okay. And as it's no problem to issue begin backup commands, I also cannot see a reason to not do this.

>> I'm already so far, as to say that it's not necessary to shutdown
>> app (& Oracle) anymore. For right now, I still think that RMAN
>> would make things (a bit) more complex. What I'm thinking about
>> doing is to put the tablespaces in BACKUP mode, create snapshots,
>> end BACKUP mode, backup snapshots and remove snapshots. The advantage
>> that I see, is that recovery is easy: I'd simply do a full restore
>> and I'd be all set, as I'd then have all the files already in the
>> correct locations.
>>
>> What am I missing again?

> I think the only thing you're missing is the required level of comfort
> with RMAN.

Yep. That's for sure.

One thing I dislike is, that I'd need to rewrite the backup script quite some, if I were to use RMAN. If I'd simply put the tablespaces in backup mode, I wouldn't have to do so much. Also recovery /seems/ to be easier, as I wouldn't have to use RMAN for this. I could to a restore from tape, and then do RECOVERs as needed.

With RMAN, I'd first restore the RMAN backup files from tape to the RMAN backup directory, then I'd do a RESTORE in RMAN followed by a RECOVER in RMAN.

It seems to me, as if there are two additional steps required, when I'd use RMAN.

Hm. Maybe I really just need to play with RMAN to get used to it. But right now, I don't see an advantage. I guess the advantage would be, that I could, more or less easily, use RMAN to do more advanced backup setups.

Alexander Skwar Received on Fri Jul 13 2007 - 06:56:13 CDT