Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 13 Jul 2007 11:41:03 GMT

Alexander Skwar wrote:

> Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> > Alexander Skwar wrote:
> >> Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> I now "played" a bit and am (again G) not so convinced that RMAN
> would >> be my best solution. What advantage does RMAN offer over
> backing up >> the "hot" database .dbf files in combination with the
> archived redo >> log files? I'm only interested in doing backup to
> disk. At least for >> now.
> >
> > To do a hot backup, you need to put the tablespace in backup mode.
>
> What would happen, if I would NOT do this?

I can't say what would /actually/ happen, as I've never been dumb enough to try it ;-)

> While we're at being honest: As I now got my head around backing
> up "too much" and doing only a PIT recovery to "some" time before
> the backup started, I also begin to not see a reason in not using
> RMAN. Ehrm. Made that sense? :) I wanted to say, that RMAN begins to
> look good for me as well.

I'll second that.

> I'm already so far, as to say that it's not necessary to shutdown
> app (& Oracle) anymore. For right now, I still think that RMAN
> would make things (a bit) more complex. What I'm thinking about
> doing is to put the tablespaces in BACKUP mode, create snapshots,
> end BACKUP mode, backup snapshots and remove snapshots. The advantage
> that I see, is that recovery is easy: I'd simply do a full restore
> and I'd be all set, as I'd then have all the files already in the
> correct locations.
>
> What am I missing again?

I think the only thing you're missing is the required level of comfort with RMAN. If you spend some time familiarising yourself with it on a test database, I think you'll end up singing its praises. It really isn't that complicated, but neither is it intuitive, which is what I think puts some people off.

--
Preston.