Re: Oralce-SQL Utility for pc for learning

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:23:39 +1000

In article <1184297979.704057.198870_at_i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, 2005 says...

> > > Are there any utility software that would install Oralce-SQL on a pc,
> > > windows?
>
> I want to learn Oracle and use SQL as the query language.
>
> What specific sw that I need to install - I see a lot, for eg:
> - Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
> - Oracle SQL Developer
> - Oracle JDeveloper 10g

To "learn Oracle" you will need an installation of the Oracle RDBMS (database engine), Oracle Database 10g Express Edition will probably fit your needs exactly.

To "use SQL as the query language" you will need a tool to connect and query you RDBMS installation. 10g Express Edition has a web interface built into it which can do this, but you are probably better off in the long term to install the Oracle client (needed to allow certain Oracle utilities and third-party products to connect to the RDBMS over Oracle's proprietary Net*8 protocol) and then to install Oracle SQL Developer.

Before doing anything, read the Concepts Manual.

GM Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 23:23:39 CDT