Re: SAME(stripe an mirror everything) - where to put binaries and redos?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:52:53 -0700

On Jul 12, 6:01 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:23:42 -0700, JAGA <james.g..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >I am planning on migrating our db to a new server on using diskspace
> >on our SAN and have been thinking of using SAME methodology but have
> >questions. I initialy wanted to just 1 mount point for everything
> >(oracle install and all datafiles control files,.....) Now I am
> >thinking that it may be better to have 2 filesystems for oracle, 1 for
> >the binaries and one for all datafiles but I am still not sure where
> >to put the redo's?
>
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Jaga
>
> The filesystem issue is irrelevant if all filesystems live on one
> single device.
> Obviously redo's need to be separated fronm data, as redo's are
> written before the datafiles are written, and insufficien performance
> in the redo department will have negative impact on the entire
> database.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Even if you have only one logical disk I would create a separate mount point for the software and for the database files. Having a separate $ORACLE_HOME makes handling upgrades easier expecially when you have multiple databases that you may not be able to upgrade all at once.

There is no reason to place the redo log files in a different file system unless that file system is on a different set of disks.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 17:52:53 CDT