Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:35:14 +0200

ยท rogergorden_at_gmail.com <rogergorden_at_gmail.com>:

> Alex:

>>It's possible that I don't understand something here. But how
>>can you recover the database, so that it is in the state it was at
>>22:55? Remember, the archive log files are lost. I'm really
>>interested - how can that be done? I mean, on tape (or on some
>>other secure location/medium) there's the database the way it
>>was up until 22:45, at best. Isn't it? From where does RMAN/Oracle
>>pull the data about what has been done between 22:46 and 22:59,
>>if archive logs aren't available?

> Have you ever had to do media recovery on a restored datafile?

No. I know that I'm hosed if I don't have archived redo logs at my hands, if that's what you want to get at.

I'm a slow learner, though. Could you please explain to me the last question:

>>From where does RMAN/Oracle
>>pull the data about what has been done between 22:46 and 22:59,
>>if archive logs aren't available?

If that's somehow possible, then you really got me hooked on RMAN. BR,

Alexander Skwar

--
The man who raises a fist has run out of ideas.
                -- H.G. Wells, "Time After Time"