Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:31:51 +0200

ยท joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>:

> Please see Metalink Note:302615.1 RMAN and Split Mirror Disk Backups
> for how to keep the downtime very small and use RMAN to backup,
> keeping the Oracle and non-Oracle parts synced by splitting them both
> at once. Maybe I still don't get it, but I tried.

I don't have access to Metalink, but I'll see if our Oracle support can send me this document tomorrow. Thx.

It shows how to backup non-Oracle parts with RMAN? Interesting. I hope they can send me this metalink document.

> Another odd thought, get directories of the non-Oracle files into a
> file, mount that external and CTAS into the db.

Hm. Interesting thought. How would I make sure, that the directory-gone-file is always up to date? I guess this would mean, that the app should also update this directory-gone-file when it modifies the files in the directory? So I'd have to double the storage - once I need to store the files as files in the vault directory and once as a directory-gone-file?

Alexander Skwar

--
Chamberlain's Laws:
        (1) The big guys always win.