Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:57:04 -0700

On Jul 12, 5:30 am, Alexander Skwar <alexan..._at_skwar.name> wrote:
> sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Obviously, RMAN can cope with the 'split-mirror' technique you
>
> I now briefly read the "OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide"
> athttp://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10734/r...,
> as it contains the "keyword" split-mirror (or rather "split mirror").
>
> Maybe I misunderstand something, but from reading the documentation,
> it seems to me, as if a "split mirror" is a backup stored on disk and
> at the same time stored on tape (or maybe more generally speaking,
> stored on two different "locations").
>
> That's neither what I described nor what I'm looking for. But before
> we go on, maybe you, Sybrand, could be so nice to explain what you
> seem to understand under "split mirror".
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexander Skwar

I'm only just looking at this thread for the first time, somehow I think this is where the misapprehension arises. Please see Metalink Note:302615.1 RMAN and Split Mirror Disk Backups for how to keep the downtime very small and use RMAN to backup, keeping the Oracle and non-Oracle parts synced by splitting them both at once. Maybe I still don't get it, but I tried.

Another odd thought, get directories of the non-Oracle files into a file, mount that external and CTAS into the db. Then you could come up with a hack to check before and after backups for changes, and a definitive list of what should be there.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
The stumbler and the shower drain:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070712/news_1b12prgn.html