Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 22:39:30 +0200

ยท sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:55:42 +0200, Alexander Skwar
> <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
>

>>Yes. When importing, I get back all the data I exported. And as far as
>>"my" application is concerned, that's good enough. And it also works,
>>which I of course tested.
>>
>>Pray tell, why is it not a backup, if I get back everything I need?

> For the umpteenth time. YOU DON"T GET EVERYTHING BACK!!!!

Ah, I see. So when I have everything back, I don't have everything back. I see.

> ALL TRANSACTIONS AFTER YOUR SO-CALLED 'BACKUP' WILL BE LOST FOREVER.
Of course. That's a given. But that's true for every backup.

Suppose you're doing a RMAN backup at 22:30. At 22:45 it's done, ie. also writing to tape is finished at that time. At 23:00, the server dies and the tapes are still intact. With that magical RMAN thing, how will you be able to recover anything that's changed in the database after 22:46? My, maybe incomplete, understanding of how RMAN works, is, that it can take a backup of an Oracle database without the need for having it shutdown (thus a hot backup). But how will RMAN allow me to recover something, which hasn't been backed up?

> PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHY YOU CAN'T/DON'T/WON'T UNDERSTAND THIS (CROSS ALL
> THAT APPLY).
I understand that and never argued this fact. But maybe you can do the same now. Or maybe you can explain to me in easy terms, so that even I am able to follow, how you could recover something, which hasn't been backed up. Once more: It might be, that I'm missing something obvious, as I don't have that much experience. That's why I'm asking this newsgroup.

> I PRAY YOUR BOSS WILL FIND THIS OUT TOO, AND KICKS YOU OUT.
Why? Because I want to improve something? Strange logic.

> YOU ARE JUST AN IMPOSTOR CLAIMING TO BE A DBA.
> YOU AREN'T .
PS: Your keyboard is broken. It seems, as if you were shouting, which, generally, is considered as being quite rude. Just wanted to let you know, so that you don't make yourself look bad. You can thank me later.

Alexander Skwar

--
He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.
                -- Lao Tsu